Sunday, October 08, 2006

Value of a Father

Much like the Visa commercials, a good mother is priceless. Her value is worth more than any precious metal that you have ever seen, or could conceive of.

But did you know that fathers are priceless too?

According to a study done on Fathers For Life:
Children from fatherless homes are:

4.6 times more likely to commit suicide,

6.6 times to become teenaged mothers (if they are girls, of course),
24.3 times more likely to run away,
15.3 times more likely to have behavioral disorders,
6.3 times more likely to be in a state-operated institutions,
10.8 times more likely to commit rape,
6.6 times more likely to drop out of school,
15.3 times more likely to end up in prison while a teenager.
(The calculation of the relative risks shown in the preceding list is based on 27% of children being in the care of single mothers.)

and — compared to children who are in the care of two biological, married parents — children who are in the care of single mothers are:

33 times more likely to be seriously abused (so that they will require medical attention), and
73 times more likely to be killed.


This study may be appear a bit dated to some because the results were published in the 90's, but what you must realize is that the kids had to be monitored from birth to maturity in order to measure the outcome.

Mothers, for the most part, have always been there for their kids, but there is something about a present father that brings families to a higher level.

There is something about fathers that make kids want to become successful in life.

There is something about fathers who are there.

Be there for your children. Be there for your family. Your presence increases the value of your family.

1 Comments:

Blogger FindingHeart said...

Thanks for stopping by! Come on back anytime.

I started at the bottom and was trying to work my way up before commenting, but I know you are going to strike a huge chord with me. I'll try to be brief in my comments (good luck! :) but I can see myself coming back often. Thanks for bringing your thoughts and inspiration to the blogosphere!

As a teacher, I was the father of many fatherless 10 yr old students. "He/she needs a male influence...," was the mantra of many moms coming through my door at the beginning of the year. Some of my most challenging students living in poverty went out of their way to get into trouble, just so I would show them the love of even-tempered dealing of consequences....that showed I still cared about them.

You may eventually ban me, ha!, but your thesis is near and dear to my heart. Thanks!

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home