Thursday, October 19, 2006

My Father-Pt. 1

He bears the same name as I. He is Junior, and I am the Third, also known as the Roman numeral III.

What a great way to honor your father than to establish something that may last for all eternity.

But my dad was not the inspiration for this webpage. We have not always had a great relationship.

My parents divorced before I was old enough to know that they were together. My memories start with my father living elsewhere. Anywhere but home was elsewhere, and that is where my father lived.

I don't remember being aware of his absence. I guess it was that way because I had uncles, cousins, neighbors, and friends who filled in at various points of my life.

I had a fatherly collective.

I had some fishing trips, some manly talks, some scratching in public, etc. However, I do remember feeling that something was missing.

I remember wanting the bedtime stories, the prayers, the consistent fatherly example, the somebody to keep my mother from bothering me.

I didn't have everything I wanted, but my needs were met.

I can remember spending a Christmas with my dad, but I also remember periods where I didn't see nor hear from him. And those were long periods of time.

I can remember vowing to give my kids everything that I did not have, and that was a full time father. Not part time. Not unfocused. Not impatient. Not unforgiving. Not unwilling to grow. Not unloving. Not absent.

A full time father.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home