Monday, November 27, 2006

Thankful

Turkey Day has come and gone, but blessings are received everyday.

My nephew spent a night over the weekend, and played video games with my oldest son until the wee hours of the morning. They laughed, and screamed, and cheered for much of the night until they fell asleep.

These are seven year olds mind you.

The next morning, my son asked my nephew if he had a father. . . . . . .


I won't go any further because the result of the conversation was not the stickler. Although I have not had the greatest relationship with my father, I still have one. It made me think of all that I am thankful for:

I am thankful to be alive.
There are millions of people who have no idea if they are going to make it through the day. I just hope that I don't have to strangle one of my students! j/k :)

I am thankful for my family
At least I know who they are. Some kids in foster care began life being thrown or taken away. What an awful way to wake up in the morning.

I am thankful that I am not Michael Richards or OJ Simpson
Regardless of whether or not you are an idiot or a murderer, I would not like the world in all of my business.

I am thankful for caller id.
For some of the same reasons listed above. Sometimes I just feel like enjoying the sounds of home.

I am thankful for the love in my heart.
Without love, there is no hope or sense of purpose in life. Without love, there is no preservation of self. Without love, there is no you. Without love, you can't give love to someone else.

I am thankful for you.
Hopefully, you can find love through this site, and pay it forward.

This is what fathers are good at.

2 Comments:

Blogger FindingHeart said...

Amen! I sometimes get the feeling that society wants men to be WWF wrestlers and never utter 'love'. When I love my kids and share the world with them, I am a man and my son is learning what a man should be. Being a dad is an awsome responsibility and I'm glad God gave me the chance.

Oh, and thanks for letting the world in all of your business by blogging today. Ha! Peace.

3:58 PM  
Blogger julie said...

Well said.

I am thankful that I got to spend Thanksgiving with my father. I don't see him often enough and I miss him.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home